Our two programmes
Our programmes focus on supporting the recovery process for people with mental health needs. They encourage optimum functioning, growth, independence and connections within the community. We have two daily programmes:
- the Creative Space Programme
- the Wellbeing & Community Programme.
All MIX participants can access either or both programmes to ensure their needs are met. In both programmes, we use the Five Ways to Wellbeing as cornerstones of our work.
- provide supportive, safe, welcoming facilities in Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt
- facilitate social, intellectual, artistic, educational and creative pursuits that enrich and empower the lives of service participants
- affirm the place of Māori as tāngata whenua, promoting the spirit of equality and partnership under Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- welcome input from tāngata whaiora and their whānau. Participant feedback helps us to continuously improve our services and make it more effective.
- provide opportunities to learn more about tikanga Māori by participating in activities such as bone carving, tikanga classes, visiting with kaupapa Māori services and participating in special events.
Creative Spaces Programme
Our arts programme, run in our Te Whare Marama studio.
We offer a wide range of visual art workshops for beginners through to experienced artists. This includes bone carving, ceramics, drawing and painting.
We also offer other arts in our programme, including music and drama, from time to time. This wide variety of media is offered throughout the year, based on the suggestions of the participating artists.
MIX presents an annual exhibition at the beginning of each year, showcasing the amazing talents of our participants. Canvases, framed pieces, prints, jewellery, sculpture and craft are available to buy.
We also run monthly exhibitions from May to October. These focus on individual artists, with other participants also creating pieces in support.
Find out all the activities in our Creative Spaces Programme.
Wellbeing & Community Programme
This programme is designed around the Five Ways to Wellbeing. It incorporates participants’ suggestions on what they would like to see on the timetable.
There are core features of the activities. These include:
- shared kai for a gold coin on Mondays – a time to catch up with old friends and make new connections
- Wellness Wednesdays – discovering self-empowerment and routes to recovery
- Keep Learning Fridays – finding out ways to make your own eco-products and cook healthy meals.
Find out all the activities in our Wellbeing & Community Programme.
What participants say about our programmes
Our annual survey in 2021 shows that 87% of participants gave MIX a 4/5 or a 5/5 rating for enjoyment about take part in our programmes and coming to MIX.
“I enjoy coming to MIX because I’m mixing with people, doing art classes and going on MIX trips.”
“I enjoy the workshops, singing … the art exhibitions, games with Jim and Adam. Interacting with the clients and the staff, helping make the Monday lunches. The staff treat us as equals and not below them.”
“Overall, I enjoy MIX and thank you to all staff and participants who have helped me with my recovery journey.”